Skip to main content

Library Memorial

^I made this sign. :)

A year from today, my public library closed down because of lack of funds. So we had a rally/funeral/memorial service for our library today. A group of people and kids march down our downtown area and up to the courthouse front steps. Reporters from the local news, radio and paper were there. The newspaper that was doing the story could send out a photographer, so I got to be the "photographer" :D I took pictures and I read a poem I wrote about the library closing. So I might appear on the local news, which is weird and cool at the same time.

And here's the poem I wrote:

Destruction of a Library

World of Words,
Their time is ending.
On the shelves
they sigh a bitter sigh.

Why should people cry?
Only words on paper
Behind brick walls

Why do I sigh,
This humble cry?
Why do the words
mean so much to me?

How can people
not feel what I feel?

About an old building
that smells like old paste
That binds together beautiful words
In the arms of ancient paper

Old and young
they fill the walls.
They feed the soul
of one and all.

Each one
an adventure
of a new day.

Comments

  1. What makes me want to cry every time I think about it is how the great library at Alexandria was burned three times--and twice were arson. WHY would anyone want to burn books?

    I think it is sad that your library closed, but at least they probably sold the books they had before closing it. Better than charred remains of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the books are still in the library, but no one can use them, so they just collect dust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sign, love the poem. I hope it can reopen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem as much as ever, and the sign is brilliance. :D Great idea for a rally, and how cool that you got to be the photographer! I'm so glad your town's not letting it die quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And props for bravery - I for one CANNOT read my own poetry aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At a earlier part of my life, I wouldn't have either. It's still scary, but I've done talks in church before, so I have some experience in front of people.
    If it wasn't for something I believed in, I don't know that I would have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "About an old building
    that smells like old paste
    That binds together beautiful words
    In the arms of ancient paper"

    This one of the best things I've ever heard said about books. And I loved that library I'd been going there since I was just a little kid. Sad.

    I love books so much it hurts. My apartment is full of them. My bed even has books in it!

    Also, I love your picture. It is true. A girl without a library is truly in want of books. (If she's not a dingbat that is...)

    And you and I, at least, are not.

    Good to see you at FHE. We need to watch Pride and Prejudice soon, eh?

    Maybe after I get back from teh Utah and finals are over. Then I'll have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the library. It is horrible that it is still closed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today = A Week

Well, it's the 7th of December. So I guess this would be an exact week since my last post. Nothing much to say, I'm working a little on one of my new ideas for a story. It's an interesting tale, but I'm not comfortable telling it just now, so you'll just have to wait. ;) I'm thinking about making gifts for Christmas. Don't know what I'm going to make though.

A new book

Today I bought The Host by Stephenie Meyer . Me and my mom bought it together, it was 25% off at Fred Meyer. I'll be reading it soon, and I'll tell how I like it.