Thursday, June 19, 2008

A camping trip to remember

Day 1

Basically, we traveled for an hour and a half to the campground. We set up camp, ate dinner, said hi to the friends we were camping with, then part of my family went to see the ocean, and then went to bed.

My feet froze.

Day 2

I woke up after a cold, uncomfortable, sleep deprived night. It was seven or eight in the morning, I don't remember. We roasted bagel over the campfire and ate them with cream cheese. Yum. Then me, my dad, and two of my brothers walked down to the Smith River to take a look.

When we got back from the river . . . I can't remember exactly what we did after that, but soon after we got in the car and drove about fifteen miles to the beach. You'll see some photographs of the river and beach here.

We went to two different beaches, had lunch, saw crabs, squirrels and birds, then went back to camp. Mom made this really awesome dutch oven dinner, then we visited with our friends until late. We went to bed.

I wore socks this time. My feet still froze.

Day 3

I woke from a night of brother getting up in the night to go potty and made general night time ruckus. I got trodden upon and kicked more then once. Not a happy camper, (pun not intended at first).

Today was the the day we were leaving. So my mom was up and starting the packing process. She puts the car keys of our sedan in her purse, and her purse is sitting in the car trunk. Do you see where this is going. She goes off to pack some stuff in the van. She notices the car trunk still open, and since she doesn't want to run down the battery . . . she closes the trunk . . . with the keys inside.


And on top of that, we were going to pick up my grandpa from my aunt's house, and my brother had a rafting trip we wanted to go to. After looking for a locksmith or towing service we could afford, and could possibly successful, we finally decided it was cheaper just to drive home and get the key. So my dad and brother drove home, my brother got dropped off so he could got to his rafting trip, and my dad went to go get his dad. Me, my mom, and my two other brothers, spent the day with our friends (who were staying for the whole week) at the river.

My feet got a major sunburn. I don't know that this picture does it justice and my feet aren't very pretty either..
My dad got back with my grandpa at about six. We packed up the rest of our stuff and drove home. And that was our adventure for the week, if not summer.


  1. If nothing went wrong, you'd have nothing to remember, right?

  2. Adventures, adventures. :) Your experiences sleeping in a tent sound about the same as mine.

  3. Ouch! The feet look like they hurt!

    Fun times... what a total bummer about the keys, but I bet she won't do that again for a really long long time! Makes for a memorable trip though.

    Fun to read, thanks for sharing!



Locations of Site Visitors